Third trimester, the last trimester of your journey of pregnancy, begins with the 7th month of pregnancy and last till the time of delivery. When we talk about third trimester weeks, it starts from the 29th week and ends on 40th week or delivery.
Third trimester symptoms:
- 3rd trimester fetal movement- With baby’s growth, space in your belly is reducing. You may notice frequent kicks and movement of baby.
3 rd trimesterabdomen pain- During third trimester of pregnancy pain named as Braxton-hicks contraction of uterus becomes more prominent and may cause discomfort and pain. Pain is usually initiated by baby’s movement.
- 3rd trimester bleeding– Bleeding in third trimester is not a good sign. It may be first sign of placenta previa or
placentaabruption. Both require special medical management.
- Third Trimester nausea- In
lastthree month of pregnancy, uterus pushes stomach and shifts it upward. Female hormone progesterone, which is in excess in your body, relaxes the oesophageal sphincter. Upward pushing of stomach and relaxation of sphincter cause regurgitation of stomach food and acid. This is the cause of nausea in the last trimester.
- Third trimester fatigue- In last month of pregnancy, fetus absorbs maximum amount of nutrition from mother’s blood, which causes fatigue. To ease this problem, take light juice and meal
inevery 3 hour. Try to relax mentally and physically both.
Baby Development in last trimester:
- Fetal weight- Your ultrasound report may say that in 26-27 weeks your baby is only 1 kg, but your baby is going to double its weight in last three months. At normal Indian standard, here is the baby weight according to the week of pregnancy:
|At 26th week||About 1 Kg|
|At 28-30 weeks||About 1.5 kg|
|At 32-34 weeks||About 2 Kg|
|At 40th weeks||About 2.5- 3 kg|
- Fetal bone- After 28-29th weeks, your baby’s cartilage transforms in bone. Now your baby needs more calcium and other minerals to easily perform this transformation. So be sure to take more calcium rich diet.
- Fetal hair ( lanungo) – Fetal hair on its scalp and all over skin start growing. These first hair are known as lanungo.
- Digestive system- In the 9th month of pregnancy, baby’s digestive system starts working. Baby’s intestine starts spasmodic action and actually starts producing waste product or stool. Baby’s first stool is known as meconium. Most of the babies pass stool within
first6 hr of birth, but it is also normal if baby passes stool during the time of labour.
- Five senses- Now your baby can feel all the senses. Being in the dark close environment of belly, baby has developed the perception of light. Your baby can now listen to you and other sounds. Sudden loud sounds also afraid him. So in the last trimester, you should be more precocious about what to watch, hear and talk, and what kind of environment you choose to be in.
- Brain-Maximum growth of baby happens in last trimester and the interesting thing is
that,85% of growth of brain happens during fetus life. No more neurone is going to be developed after birth. So your baby’s future IQ and sharp mind develop when he is still in your tummy. So insure maximum nutritional life while you are pregnant and especially during 3rd trimester.
What to do in third trimester:
1. Third trimester diet-
During last month of pregnancy baby’s mind is growing, doubling its weight and transformation of cartilage to bone and lots of things are happening. For all this to happen, baby requires much more calories compared to first trimester and 2nd trimester. Mother’s weight should be increased 2-2.5 kg in
For all this, mother should take 3 main course meals and 3 snack time meal at least. 3rd trimester diet should be rich in calcium and iron. In developing countries, WHO suggests mandatory 1000 mg calcium supplement and 800 mg iron and folic acid supplement for every mother in last trimester of pregnancy.
2. Third trimester exercise-
- All form of exercise which causes severe sweating increase heart rates so it should be avoided.
- Do hydrate yourself before and during exercise.
- During pregnancy, main aim of exercise is to stretch and strength your pelvic muscles.
- Avoid skipping, jumping, running, and balancing exercises.
Only some of exercises are safe during pregnancy which are as follows:
- Squat- Squatting provides strength to your pelvic muscle. Mild squat with support of chair is safe in pregnancy.
- Walking– Gentle walking not only refreshes mood but also increases blood circulation towards the uterus. It also provides strength to back and thigh muscles.
- Swimming-This is the best one exercise to do throughout the pregnancy. Swimming is not only safe but advised by gynecologists also.
- Pelvic muscle exercise- Tight your pelvic muscles and hold for 20 sec then release. Again take a deep breath and repeat the process. Do this for 5-10 times in a day.
3. Hospital tour-
3rd trimester is a good time to visit the hospital prior to labor. It is always a good thought to get educated yourself about symptoms of labor and planning about C-section or normal vaginal delivery. Also prepare your emergency hospital bag for yourself and baby, which you would like to take to the hospital.
3rd trimester warning sign:
- 3rd trimester pain– As discussed above, some discomfort and pain
isnormal in 3rdtrimester, but severe pain and vaginal secretion are medical emergency.
- Vaginal discharge– Green or brown colour vaginal discharge is a sign of severe vaginal infection. Severe watery discharge could be leakage of uterus.
- Fever-Fever more than 101 F should be treated as
medicalemergency in last months of pregnancy.
- Oedema- Oedema, especially in lower legs may be
firstsign of eclampsia. So it should be checked as early as possible.
- Absense of fetal movement or severe fetal movement.
Above article is only for knowledge purpose. Please contact your healthcare provider before using any of above medicine or method. for any query or personal consultation according to your health condition Please Contact Us