Genital Herpes is the most common sexually transmitted disease and most of the people are not aware about their condition. Here let’s discuss about it in detail:
What is genital herpes?
We can define herpes as a viral infection of body which is caused by Herpes Virus. When this infection occurs in genital region of man and woman, it is known as genital herpes.
There are two types of Herpes Simplex Virus which are HSV 1 and HSV 2. HSV 1 is more responsible for cold sore or herpes in other part of body, but can cause genital herpes too. Same as HSV 2 mostly causes genital herpes, but can also cause general herpes.
Causes of genital herpes:
Both HSV 1 and 2, viruses get into body through mucous membrane. Mucous membrane covers all opening of the body like vagina, glans penis, mouth, anal and others. Once Virus penetrates mucous membrane, it makes its home in nerve cell of pelvic region.
This virus does not cause any sudden symptoms. HSV remain silently in body and once immunity goes down due to any reason, it outbreaks.
How is genital herpes transmitted?
Genital herpes is sexually transmitted disease. Strain of HSV can be found in fluid of infected person and transmitted through direct touch. Other ways of transmitting are:
- Sexually contact
- Kissing or oral sex
- From mother to baby, during delivery
Genital herpes symptoms:
Genital herpes causes blister type lesions, appearance of blister is known as outbreak of the disease. First outbreak may happen to be as early as 2 days or 30 days afterwards. These herpes blisters are red in colour, causes severe burning sensation and pain. It also produces watery discharge which makes them moist. These blisters spread very fast. Outbreak happens to start with one blister and often spread within one day. Infection and blister of herpes in different parts of female genitals called with different names too like vaginal herpes, herpes on vagina and in male it is commonly called as penis herpes.
a) Common symptoms of herpes:
- Blister can appear in genital area, mouth, lips and any other parts too, which comes in direct contact with affected area.
- Blister of HSV are painful with burning sensation and itching. It spreads very fast.
- Blister also becomes ulcerated and oozes out some liquid too.
- After 5 to 7 days these blister dried up.
- Lymph node of groin region swelled up.
- Fever may be present.
b) Symptoms of herpes in women:
Genital herpes can infect man and woman both, but woman are in slightly higher risk for it, because generally female vagina is moist which make preferable environment for virus. In female, herpes virus blister can be present in vagina, vulva, anus and buttocks.
c) Symptoms of herpes in men:
Blister of genital herpes in man may be found in anus, scrotum and in head of penis.
d) Symptoms of genital herpes in newborn baby or neonatal herpes:
Babies do get infected through normal vaginal deliveries. Genital herpes is not life threatening disease to adult, but neonatal herpes can cause severe and life threatening complications in new born. HSV virus may enter in central nervous system and cause brain damage, brain retardation, blindness and other severe conditions. Even early treatment of neonatal herpes is not sufficient, because before even producing symptoms, it had damaged the central nervous system.
Here are some common symptoms of neonatal herpes:
- Blister and ulceration on face, lips and other part of body.
- Bleeding through blister.
- Fast breathing, fever and restlessness.
Treatment of herpes:
There is no effective treatment for it. Genital herpes medication can only provide relief during outbreak but cannot cure the condition. Because once virus is entered in the body it can remain in dormant condition in neurone cell for years, and can cause recurrent outbreak. Low immunity due to immunity suppressant drugs, HIV infection and other diseases plays important role in outbreak.
a) Genital herpes medication:
There is no genital herpes cure, but supportive treatment and care can make easier to live with it.
- Antiviral drugs-There are several anti-viral drugs like acyclovir that speeds up healing process during outbreaks. Anti viral drugs also reduce pain and burning that occurred due to blister.
- Health supplement- Viral infection is associated with low immunity and nourishment. Doctor may advise Multi-vitamins and multi-minerals supplement.
- Immunity booster drugs- There are several Ayurveda drugs which have been scientifically proven to boost immunity such as Amla, Ashvgandha , Shatavri, Tulsi and others are effective in treating viral infection.
b) Home remedies for genital herpes:
- Aloe Vera– Aloe Vera is soothing in nature. Internal use of Aloe Vera is also good practice to boost immunity. One can also apply Aloe Vera paste or gel on affected area. Washing genitals with Aloe Vera wash also improves genital hygiene.
- Amla – Amla is a proven Ayurveda herb to boost immunity.
- Tea tree oil- Tea tree oil is effective anti-viral.
- Baking soda– Application the paste of baking soda reduces itching and redness. It helps to dry out lesions.
- Garlic- Researchers suggest garlic is potent anti-viral and anti-bacterial drug. Take 1/4th spoon of garlic paste with pinch of black salt. This combination is good choice if you had suffered from recurrent outbreak.
Above article is only for knowledge purpose. Please contact your healthcare provider before using any of above medicine or method. For any query or personal consultation according to your health condition Please Contact Us.