What is Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is disease of female genital organ. In every menstruation cycle female uterus lining grows its thickness and if fertilization didn’t occur, uterus lining starts shading itself which is called menstruation. This is normal phenomena of uterus lining but imagine if this phenomena start to happen in other part of uterus and other genital organ and even worse in other abdominal organs. Then it is called endometriosis.
Definition of endometriosis:
Endometriosis is growth of endometrium (lining of uterus) outside of uterus. It occurs, when tissues which are similar to endometrium start growing on other part of uterus, ovary, fallopian tube and rarely other abdominal organs. It can grow on and inside of ovary causing endometriosis cyst. This cyst is referred as chocolate cyst.
1. Menstruation pain:
Moderate to severe menstruation pain is very common sign of endometriosis. Organ where endometrium tissues are attached, also starts shading and bleeding. This unusual bleeding has no place to go out through body. This trapped blood causes inflammation and infection of that particular organ which causes severe pain.
2. Menstruation problems:
Menstruation problems like abnormal uterine bleeding, metrorrhagia, menorrhagia are common.
3. Lower abdominal pain or endometriosis pain:
Female with it often feel continuous dull pain in lower abdomen or severe pain with sudden on and off pattern.
4. Pain during sex:
Sexual pain is often associated with it.
Infertility is the main problem of endometriosis. Around 30% of females with infertility is also associated with it. Infertility with endometriosis usually occurs because of two reasons. First, endometrium tissues in ovary causes disturbance in ovulation. Second, inflammation or growth of fimbrial end of fallopian tube is not able to catch ovum or growth of tubes do not allow sperm to enter. In both ways fertilization is not happening.
- Discomfort in bowel movement
- Recurrent urinary tract infection
- Around 40% female suffering from endometriosis do not feel any of symptoms, it is accidentally diagnosed for another surgery.
What causes endometriosis is still not clear, but there are various hypotheses which are as follows:
- Some of endometrial tissues travel out through Fallopian tube into pelvic cavity and attach to organ. This is called retrograde menstruation. Retrograde menstruation is common in every female but endometriosis occurs to only some. This all depends upon person’s immunity power.
- Some cells of other organ change itself into cells of lining of uterus.
- Cells of uterine lining travel through blood circulation and lymphatic system and merged itself into other organ cells.
- Through surgical procedure.
- Laparoscopy– laparoscopy is a medical procedure in which a small camera like structure is inserted in abdominal cavity either through vagina or abdomen.
- Pain management- Non steroid anti-inflammatory drugs are often given.
- Hormonal therapy
- Surgery- For confirmed diagnose, surgery is only available option. Type of surgery depends upon severity of condition. Surgery is often done to remove or burn endometriosis lesion.
Treating endometriosis through Ayurveda is not only possible but cost effective too. As discussed above allopathy science is still unclear about what causes it, but 1000 year old Ayurveda has not only discussed about it but also mentioned patho-physiology of it.
Ayurveda has three main pillar of body which is vaat, pitha and kapha. These all three are again divided in 5-5 subtypes. In endometriosis vitiation of apan and vyan vaat, tarpak kapha and ranjak pitha causes abnormal growth of uterine lining. Some medications which are effective in treatment of endometriosis are:
- Kumara asav
- Rasna saptak kwath
- Dashmool kwath
- Jeeraka arisht
- Chandra prabha vati
- Chandnadi vati
- Trikatu churn
Above article is only for knowledge purpose. Please contact your healthcare provider before using any of above medicine or method. For any query or personal consultation according to your health condition Please Contact Us