Are you irritated with blackheads and want to remove it from your nose or chin? Then you are at the right place. Here we are going to share top 5 home remedies to remove blackheads naturally. You will also come to know what do’s and don’ts you should follow in case of blackheads.
So at first let’s understand what blackheads are and what causes it?
What are blackheads?
Blackheads are minor types of acne. Hair follicles on skin are clogged by dead cells due to sweat and sebaceous secretion. These blocked hair follicles appearance look like tiny black or white spot, these spots are knowns as black or whiteheads. Medically blackheads and whiteheads both is same thing. The only difference is that blackhead is open, so dirt makes it look black where as in whitehead surface skin is intact which makes it to look white.
What causes blackheads?
Human skin contains several hair follicles. In base of every hair follicle there is a small opening of sebaceous gland. This gland produces oil, which is known as sebum. This oil is responsible for making skin shinny and glowing. But sometime these sebaceous glands start producing excessive amount of sebum, which causes blockage of opening of gland. This is the same pathology for acne, whiteheads and blackheads. When these blocked glands get infected with pathogen, it causes infection, pain and redness; this is acne. When surface skin just above sebaceous gland is intact, it causes whiteheads and when skin is open, it causes accumulation of dirt that produces blackhead.
There are some factors which may increase the chances of blackhead, such as:
- Production of excess oil and sebum.
- Accumulation of bacteria on skin.
- Accumulation of dead skin due to lack of cleaning.
- Hormonal changes like in teenage or pregnancy.
- Some medications like contraceptive pills, steroids and others.
- Eating habits and life style also increase the chances of acne and blackheads. Although there is no direct connection between oily food and dairy products, but healthy and nutritional diet plays important role in building immunity and reducing oxidative stress, which indirectly makes skin glowing and acne free.
Treatment for blackheads/ How to get rid of blackheads:
Most of the time Blackheads do not require medical management, but there are some do’s and don’ts, which one needs to understand otherwise condition can get worsen.
Do’s for blackheads:
- Cleaning- Regular cleaning with various products or homemade scrub is always a good habit. It prevents the accumulation of dead skin layer. But unnecessary use of scrub makes skin dry and itchy which leads to excessive oil production. So always choose carefully which type of scrub is best for your skin and in what interval you should scrub.
- Cosmetics– Always buy non-comedogenic products. These products do not clog pores and help in to clean them. Moreover, always clear all the makeup from skin before going to bed in nights.
- Health issues- Some health conditions worsen blackhead problems. Eczema or fungal infection of skin may trigger blackhead.
- Medication- Although most of the people do not seek medical help for blackhead, but still it is good to take opinion from dermatologist and cosmetologist.
- Relaxation and meditation- Though meditation is not directly linked with acne. But stress initiates over production of oil from skin gland. So on first hand doing mediation can make you relax and stress free which reflect with your glowing skin.
- Eat healthy- Eating junk food is linked with lower immunity and over production of hormones, which indirectly cause acne and blackheads.
Don’ts with blackheads:
- Squeezing- Squeezing the blackhead never treats the problem, even it can worsen the condition.
- Excessive steam- Earlier Steam was advised by doctors to avoid various skin issues as it opens the pores. But steam is not beneficial for everyone. For some, it worsens the condition.
- Excessive touching- Our hands have lots of infection; excessive toughing may increase infection on face.
- Too much face wash- Excessive use of face wash makes skin dry and itchy, which influence sebaceous secretion.
- Cosmetics– Using too much makeup products always leads to various skin issues.
How to remove blackheads?
Blackheads are common concern in teenage, especially when physical appearance becomes more important. There are various home remedies which can treat this condition effectively.
1. Baking soda for blackheads:
Baking soda has anti-bacterial and exfoliating properties. Take 1 pinch of backing soda and mix it with water. Apply it only on affected area. It will exfoliate and remove all blackheads. But be precautious because it may exfoliate and dry whole skin which can worsen the condition so always massage with a good moisturizer after doing it.
2. Lemon and honey:
Mix 1 table spoon of honey with one table spoon of lemon juice and 2-3 pinch of sugar. Mix well and gently rub the paste on affected area. After 15 mins wash the face with Luke warm water.
Fenugreek, which is known as methi in hindi, has various health properties. It also has been scientifically proven to clear black and whiteheads both. To prepare blackheads removal mask, make smooth paste of fenugreek leave or seed with water and apply the paste on the affected area. Leave this paste for 10 min, and then rinse off with water. Repeat this procedure twice a week. Don’t forget to apply moisturizer after applying any blackheads removal mask.
Aloe Vera has hundreds of health benefits. It is a miracle plant for skin related issue. Apply face mask or use aloevera as a face wash. It not only removes all dirt, bacteria and dead skin but also one of the best natural moisturiser.
5. Red lentil (Masoor Daal):
Red lentil is a natural scrubber. For making blackhead removal scrub, make fine paste of red lentil powder with either water or raw milk. Apply this paste on blackheads and leave it until it is dry, then wash it with water.
Above article is only for knowledge purpose. Please contact your healthcare provider before using any of above medicine or method. For any query or personal consultation according to your health condition Please Contact Us.