Apple is one of the most delicious crunchy fruit. Apple in Hindi is known as “Seb”. Botanical name of Apple is “Malus Pumila” and it belongs to Rosaceae family. There are hundreds of varieties of apple fruit which are available in the world, with different size, color, and taste. The taste of apple fruit is sweet acidic. Apple is one of the healthiest fruits. There is also a proverb which says “an apple in a day keeps the doctor away”. An apple fruit contains vast amount of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and enzymes making it not only tasty but healthy also.
- Apple calories– 100 gm of apple fruit with all its edible part provides 60 calories.
- It is very rich in carbohydrate. 100gm of apple fruit contains 15 gm of carbohydrate and 10gm of sugar.
- Amount of dietary fiber in apple fruit is very rich, about 2gm.
- Apple contains very less amount of fat and protein.
- Vitamins in apple– Apple fruit contains enormous amount of vitamin A (beta carotene), complete B complex (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9), vitamin C, vitamin K and vitamin E.
- Apple is a rich source of minerals too. It provides calcium, magnesium, manganese, iron, sodium, potassium, zinc, phosphorus, etc.
- Apple contains the highest amount of antioxidants and flavonoids.
Health benefit of apple fruit:
1. Apple for diabetes:
Apple is beneficial for diabetes for the following four reasons.
- Polyphenol found in apple fruit slows down carbohydrate and glucose absorption by the gut.
- It stimulates pancreas cells to release insulin.
- Polyphenol stimulates insulin receptor cells to metabolize blood sugar.
- Apple fruit contains fewer amounts of calories.
2. Apple for blood pressure:
Rich antioxidants and high amount of soluble and non-soluble fiber make apple fruit a good choice to lower down the blood pressure. Apple’s fructose, metabolized by liver produces uric acid, which is key factor for heart health. Uric acid maintains heart healthy and prevents blood vessel from damage.
3. Apple for cholesterol:
Non soluble and soluble fiber of apple inhibits cholesterol absorption from gut. Researchers have found pectin in its fiber that lowers the rate of cholesterol absorption.
4. Apple for cancer:
Worldwide researchers have concluded that eating apple reduces the risk of cancer. Breast, lung, stomach and esophagus cancer are more specific. Flavonoid is main key factor. It binds with cancerous free radical and washes out it through the stool.
5. Apple for brain power:
Studies, conducted on mice, have produced the result that apple fruit decreases the rate of aging of brain cells. Quercetin, a powerful antioxidant found in apple fruit skin, improves brain memory; it also produces acetylcholine-like neurotransmitter. Hence, it also reduces chances of Alzheimer and percussion.
6. Apple for liver:
Minerals and vitamins found in apple fruit makes liver healthy. Acid content of apple stimulates liver to secret bile, decreases amount of cholesterol absorption and also keeps liver healthy.
7. Apple for weight loss:
Fiber takes longer time to digest and absorb. A good fiber diet makes you feel full stomach and reduces excessive food intake. It is advisable to take an apple before meal. In long term, it will produce effective result.
8. Apple for constipation:
With unknown pathophysiology, apple is beneficial for diarrhea and constipation both. Its non soluble fiber absorbs excessive water from gut, hence reduces excessive motion of intestine. Apple also increases quantity of stool. It is very good fruit for irritable bowel syndrome where episodes of constipation and diarrhea happens.
9. Apple for bone health:
Apple contains calcium and phosphorus both. These are two main factors for bone density.
10. Apple for skin:
Apple is beneficial for skin. On external application, it works as a natural bleaching agent. Vitamin C found in apple, binds with collagen and reduces wrinkles and aging effect.
11. General weakness:
Complete package of mineral, vitamins and antioxidants makes apple a good choice for recovery of patients.
12. Apple for pregnancy:
Apple is safe throughout the pregnancy. Excessive amount of apple can cause constipation due to fiber. So consumption of safe amount is advisable.
Side effects of apple fruit:
- Diabetes– Apple has good amount of carbohydrate, sugar, and fiber. Excessive amount of apple can increase blood sugar and weight gain.
- Liver problem– Like all the other fruits, apple has fructose. Unlike glucose, fructose metabolizes only in liver. Hence it puts excessive burden on liver.
- Gout– Apple produces a serious side effect for the patient of gout. As metabolism of apple produces uric acid, which is the main causative factor of gout, it may aggravate suffering of Gout patients.
- Apple seed– Whole apple is healthy except seeds. Apple seeds are naturally poisonous because it contains cyanide. Regular consumption of seeds can cause serious health issues.
- Apple allergy– Some people are naturally allergic to apple. Cause is not known, but it is very rare.
- Weakness of tooth enamel– Apple vinegar is acidic in nature hence excessive and undiluted use of it can cause weakness of tooth enamel.
- Damaged bones– People suffering from osteoporosis should minimize the uses of apple cider vinegar. Because it causes low level of potassium in blood and in bone.
How to eat apple fruit:
- Apple fruit– Apple skin has many important antioxidants so it should be eaten with skin.
- Apple juice– Apple juice is acidic in nature, so don’t keep it in metal utensil. Fresh juice is more beneficial as market juice has preservatives.
- Apple cider vinegar– It should always be diluted, don’t consume it in excessive amount as it has its own of side effects.
Can dogs eat apple fruit?
Apple for dog is good source of energy and nutrition. It contains Vitamin E which makes fur of your beloved animal silky and shiny. You should always avoid apple seed as they are poisonous for dogs as well.
Can cats eat apple fruit?
Apple is a great treat for cats. But it does not contain high amount of protein so should not be used as regular food for cats.
Above article is only for knowledge purpose. Please contact your healthcare provider before using any of above medicine or method. for any query or personal consultation according to your health condition Please Contact Us