Pomegranate is one of the healthiest fruit. It has a high nutritional value as it is a rich source of multivitamins, minerals, antioxidants. It also works as an antibiotic and anti-viral. The new research shows that it has anti-cancerous properties too. Pomegranate in Hindi is known as Anar or Dadim. Anar is more common word than Dadim.
Its botanical name is Punica Granatum belongs to Lythraceae family. The pomegranate tree is a deciduous shrub or small tree generally growing up to 6-10 meter.
- 1 Nutrition of Pomegranate:
- 1.1 Health benefits of pomegranate:
- 1.2 Uses of Pomegranate:
- 1.3 Side effects of Pomegranate:
Nutrition of Pomegranate:
Nutrition in Pomegranate has been described below:
- 100gm of pomegranate contains about 80gm of calories.
- An average size of fruit contains around 50gm of carbohydrate, 3gm of fat and 5 gm of protein. It has almost zero amounts of cholesterol.
- The fruit has high fibers as 100 gm of it provides around 12gm of fiber which is 1/3rd of the daily requirement of a person.
- It is a high source of vitamins. It has vitamin B complex, vitamin K, vitamin C and Folic Acid. 100gm of fruit provides about 80% of daily requirement of vitamin C.
- It also contains good amount of minerals, Calcium, Copper, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Zinc, Sulphur etc.
- Pomegranate has a very small amount of iron. There is a myth regarding iron. People generally think that it is a great source of iron because of its red color.
- It also has some amount of electrolyte.
- The bark, stem, skin, and juice of the fruit contains high amount of Tannin which is known to accelerate blood clotting, reduce blood pressure, decrease the serum lipid level, produce liver necrosis, and modulate
- Its bark contains Pelleterine and Isopelleterine active contents, which work as antibiotic and anti-helminths.
Health benefits of pomegranate:
For Digestive Problems:
It is very much effective to treat anorexia, hyperacidity, diarrhea, and dysentery. Acidic value of it stimulates the liver to produce and secrete bile juice thus it is also used to treat hepatitis. The decoction of Bark and fruit skin is used to treat worm infection of the intestine, especially tapeworms.
Pomegranate and Diabetes:
Ayurveda practitioners are using it to treat diabetes for ages. Newly research by modern medicine practitioner also supports it. Pomegranate juice has active contains Gallic, Punicagallic, Oleonic acid, Urosolic acid and others, which stimulates pancreas beta cells to produce the increased amount of insulin. Sugar in it takes longer time to digest thus it does not increase the level of blood sugar. It is effective for diabetes type 2 that is insulin resistance diabetes. It is a question of doubt that does it also treats diabetes type 1.
High amount of natural antioxidant and effective contents like Catechine and Tannin reduce plaques in blood vessels and Atherosclerosis (hardening of blood vessels). Researchers have found pomegranate reduces LDL cholesterol and produces no effect on HDL cholesterol. It also improves cardiac muscle tone, hence reduces chances of Cardiac Stroke (Cardiac Attack).
Pomegranate for Cancer:
On the basis of the clinical trial on animal, extract of pomegranate reduces the size of prostate, colon, lung, skin and breast tumors. Its effectiveness in human cancer is still under trial. Anti-oxidant property of it reduces side effects of chemotherapy. For a cancer patient, it is advisable to consume 100ml of pomegranate juice regularly.
Pomegranate for Skin:
Pomegranate leaves are used to treat eczema and urticarial. Direct application of the paste of young leaves or decoction of leaves purify blood and improves blood circulation. In Ayurveda, pomegranate is effectively used to treat all sorts of skin problems. Application of bark and leaves paste on face works as a facial scrub.
Multivitamins and multimineral property of it make it extremely beneficial for pregnancy. It also reduces morning sickness, nausea and constipation.
Pomegranate for Dogs:
Dogs are human’s best friends. it is very important to know which human fruits and vegetables are good for them because some of the human diet item shows the poisonous property to them. Pomegranate has low amount of fat but high amount of fiber and our canine friends do not need high fiber diet. So sharing a small amount of it, is good.
It does not show any life-threatening condition in cats but as fruits are not a natural diet for cats, avoiding or sharing only small amount without sugar and preservative is advisable.
Ayurveda practitioners are using it for thousands of year. Ancient Ayurvedic Classics like Charak Samhita, Sushrut Samhita, Ashtang Hraday describe several benefits of it. It shows anti-inflammatory properties, improves the general weakness. It is good for male sexual problem, diacritic, improves muscle tone and cardiac activity.
Uses of Pomegranate:
- Fruit– Fruit juice with seeds or without seed.
- Fruit skin– Dry powder of fruit skin
- Leaves– Extract of leaves, decoction of leaves, cold decoction of leaves, Paste of young leaves
- Bark– Only decoction
- Root– Only decoction
Side effects of Pomegranate:
- Some people have allergy from it, but it is very rare and very mild. However, very rarely, pomegranate extract can cause the anaphylactic reaction.
- Excessive consumption of it can upset your stomach because of high fiber diet and some specific enzyme reaction.
- Use only prescribed amount of it for diabetes and weight loss due to its high sugar content
- It lowers blood pressure if you consume high amount of it along with antihypertensive medicine it can cause a sudden decrease in blood pressure.
- Its leaves, root, and bark contain the high amount of Tannin. Some people are allergic to Tannin. So please consult Ayurveda practitioner before using any of it containing decoction or medicine.